KNOX COUNTY SHERIFF’S OFFICE APPLICATION PROCEDURE TO OBTAIN A LICENSE TO CARRY A CONCEALED HANDGUN
- A packet containing an Application For A License to Carry a Concealed Handgun, Attorney General’s ”Ohio’s Concealed Carry Law” publication and Knox County Sheriff’s Office Application Procedure will be available beginning Thursday April 8,2004. Applications may be picked up anytime from the Knox County Sheriff’s Office at 11540 Upper Gilchrist Road Mount Vernon. Below is a link to the Attorney General's website where an application can be downloaded. Click on the form you need on the right side of the page. http://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/ConcealedCarry.aspx/?from=nav
- Once the Application has been completed, including all the required documentation (i.e. proof of competency certification). A criminal history background check by fingerprint must be done. Walk in fingerprint hours are Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday 9-11:30 and 1-3:30. A color front view head and shoulders photograph, passport size, taken within thirty days of the application date must be attached to the application when it is submitted.
Upon arriving at the Sheriff’s Office your completed application must be turned over to the representative taking your fingerprints and at that time you will be required to pay the non-refundable application fee as follows:
NEW APPLICATION FEES:
$67.00 - For residents that have lived in the State of Ohio for more than five years.
$91.00 - For residents that have lived in the State of Ohio for less than five years.
RENEWAL APPLICATION FEES:
$50.00 - For residents that have lived in the State of Ohio for more than five years.
$74.00 - For residents that have lived in the State of Ohio for less than five years.
$37.00 - For residents that have lived in the State of Ohio more than five years.
$61.00 - For residents that have lived in the State of Ohio for less than five years.
REPLACEMENT FEE FOR LOST/STOLEN LICENSES: $15.00
The Knox County Sheriff's Office accepts checks or money orders for payment of fees. We do not accept cash or any credit or debit cards.
(Fees are waived if the applicant is a retired law enforcement officer, including retired federal law enforcement personnel).
- Once the fingerprinting has been completed, application submitted and all applicable fees paid, the Sheriff has forty-five days to issue a concealed handgun license.
If the Sheriff denies you the issuance of a license, he will inform you of the basis for the denial in writing.
- If the Sheriff approves the application, the applicant will be contacted by the Sheriff's Office to advise their license is available for pick up. Concealed handgun licenses may be picked up at the Sheriff's Office Monday - Friday 8am - 4pm.
- The procedure for renewal is the same as for the original issue, the exception being that no firearms retraining is needed if you have had training in the past six years prior to the application date. Please include a copy of your training certificate with the renewal application, if we did not issue the original license.
ONCE THE APPLICATION HAS BEEN SUBMITTED TO THE SHERIFF'S OFFICE AND THE FINGERPRINTING HAS BEEN COMPLETED, DO NOT CALL OR CONTACT THE SHERIFF'S OFFICE TO CHECK ON THE STATUS OF YOUR APPLICATION !